New Update 5.0 Adds New Story Elements, New Ship UI, Final God Challenge and Turn Based Mode Enters Full Release
Genre-defining RPG developer Obsidian Entertainment, in partnership with indie powerhouse publisher Versus Evil, is today announcing that update 5.0 for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is now available. On the one year anniversary of its launch Obsidian continues to refine the player experience for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire and introduces a whole host of new content, balances, and fixes with update 5.0, including the full release of turn-based mode.
The update provides further refinement to ship to ship encounters as players navigate the exotic open ocean of the Deadfire archipelago. Obsidian has also written in new story content recorded by the original actors which improves story aspects with Woedica and Eotha characters in the game. The final God Challenge will also be live with this update and turns on not only all the other God Challenges, but also Solo (the game must be played with no companions), Trail of Iron (you only have one save file and if you die, the save is deleted), and Path of the Damned (the hardest difficulty), for players looking to test their mettle.
And there’s more! – with update 5.0 Obsidian is also providing a revised set of the Pillars of Eternity pen-and-paper rules for everyone to be able to try out. Anyone who is interested in playing a tabletop game in the world of Eora, can head over to https://eternity.obsidian.net and download the ruleset now! Those who already had the rules either through backing the game on Fig, or in the Deluxe or Obsidian Editions of Deadfire will also get the updated ruleset.
Furthermore, Obsidian is holding a competition for the Ultimate God Challenge where players can get an embroidered patch from Obsidian and their name, class, character and level engraved on a plaque for prosperity to be hung in the Obsidian offices. For full guidelines for the competition, check out the latest Deadfire Backer Update on Obsidian’s forums.
Update 5.0 Features in detail
- New Ship UI – An update to the UI has been implemented that will come up any time players engage with a ship on the seas that brings a more elegant way to ship-to-ship encounters.
- Turn-Based Mode Out of Beta – Thanks to feedback from the community, Obsidian have made a lot of changes to turn-based mode to account for bugs and balance fixes and it is now in full release with the 5.0 patch.
- New Story Content Added – After listening to feedback on the critical path of the game when it came to reactivity with Woedica and Eothas, Obsidian have been able to go in and write new lines and get them recorded by the original actors to add more to that aspect of the game.
- The Ultimate – The final God Challenge will be live with the 5.0 patch. This challenge, “The Ultimate” will turn on all other God Challenges, Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned, and Solo mode.
- Revised Paper Rules – This can be downloaded by visiting eternity.obsidian.net. Those who had the PnP starter guide as a digital reward through the Fig Campaign, or those who have the Deluxe or Obsidian editions of the game will also get the updated rules.
- Ultimate God Contest – Those who complete the challenge and show Obsidian proof through either a YouTube playlist of their playthrough, or links to videos via Dropbox (all submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org), can have the chance to get a patch sent to them from Obsidian. The first 12 to complete the challenge will get a patch, but will also have their name, their character’s name, their class and level, engraved on a plaque in the Obsidian offices*.
*All submissions subject to judgement from Obsidian team members and can be disqualified as Obsidian see fit.