Get ready to let off some pent-up, winter-fueled steam as Other Ocean Group has confirmed that it will release its online-multiplayer, Project Winter, on Steam Early Access in Q1 of this year. An open beta event will soon be held for all to test their mettle against the blistering cold.
Project Winter will release on the Steam Store, Humble Bundle, and Greenman Gaming for Windows PC, with controller support for USD 19.99. The game was developed in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador with valued support from the Canada Media Fund.
Project Winter is an 8-person, multiplayer game focused on social deception and survival where players are randomly assigned to the role of Traitor or Survivor. Players must gather resources, repair structures, and brave the wilderness together. Beware of traitors within the group who will be steadily gaining strength as the match progresses and whose only goal is to stop the survivors by any means necessary. Communication and teamwork are essential to the survivors’ ultimate goal of escape.
“Project Winter is not just a survival genre game, it also has an element of player deception. This is a game where you meet up with friends and either work together or destroy them,” explains Ryan Hale, Studio Head, Other Ocean interactive. “Unlike other survival games which you must stay alive to win, in Project Winter you require the cooperation of other players to help you make it out alive. In-game player communication is a key element to playing the game, in which no one can be trusted,” said Hale.
- Survive & Escape in this 8-person multiplayer game of Teamwork & Betrayal.
- Escape to Survive – As a survivor amongst a group of strangers, you will have to collect resources, battle the elements and complete a series of tasks to call in one of several rescue vehicles.
- Hidden Roles – Amongst the group of survivors lurk hidden traitors. The traitors are known to each other but not the survivors. Their goal is to stop the survivors from escaping without being identified and killed.
- Teamwork – Survivors cannot escape unless they work together. Players who wander off on their own will have difficulty surviving the elements, can fall victim to hostile wildlife, or become easy targets for the traitors.
- Communication – There are several ways to communicate with other players, including proximity-based voice chat, private voice chat radio channels, text chat, and emotes – communication is vital if the survivors have any hope of completing their tasks and defending against the traitors.
- Betrayal & Deception – The traitors are outnumbered and weak when the game begins, they may infiltrate the survivors and earn their trust while they build up their strength. Survivors can never be 100% sure of who to trust. The traitors can take advantage of this by spreading lies and setting the survivors against each other.